The winners of the 2022 Meat Management Meat Industry Awards were announced on Thursday evening 15th September at a black-tie dinner and ceremony hosted by globally recognised entertainer Paul Zerdin, held at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole.
The Awards are a celebration of the creativity, innovation and excellence of the UK’s meat industry. The award winners are determined through reader votes and product entries, along with a select judging panel for product evaluation.
Internationally renowned entertainer Paul Zerdin joined Graham Yandell, Publisher of both Meat Management and Food Management Today magazines, to present the awards to winners.
A total of 20 accolades were handed out to companies, associations and people.
The Excellence Award title went to Dean Holroyd, group technical and sustainability director at ABP Group. Another of the night’s most prestigious awards, Young Manager of the Year, was won by Ben Lee, managing director at Soanes Poultry.
The 2022 winners are:
- The Catering Butcher Award – Owen Taylor & Sons Ltd
- Best Trade Organisation – British Meat Processors Association (BMPA)
- Best Online Business – Edwards of Conwy
- Best Equipment/Machinery Supplier – Reiser (UK) Ltd
- Training Scheme of the Year – Crosby Butchery Training – Butchery Apprenticeships
- Young Manager of the Year – Ben Lee, managing director, Soanes Poultry
- Britain’s Best Butcher’s Shop – Philip Warren & Son, Launceston, Cornwall.
- Supermarket/Multiple Meat Retailer of the Year – ASDA
- Britain’s Best Sausage – Sainsbury’s Taste The Difference Firecracker Sausages – Cranswick PLC
- Britain’s Best Burger – Waitrose Summer 2 Wild Garlic & Herb Lamb Burgers – Pilgrim’s UK Lamb
- Britain’s Best Meat Pie – Owen Taylor’s Centenary Pie – Owen Taylor & Sons Ltd
- Best Bacon Product – Viking Smoked Dry Cured Back Bacon – Danish Crown UK
- Best Free From Product – Porky Whites Premium Pork Sausages (Gluten and Dairy Free) – Porky Whites Ltd
- Best Poultry Product – Morrisons The Butcher’s On Market Street BBQ Chicken Wings – Cranswick Country Foods Fresh Poultry
- Best Beef Product – Regeneratively Farmed Longhorn Dry Aged Sirloin Steak – Buitelaar Group
- Best Pork/Pigmeat Product – Marks & Spencer Collection Slow Cooked Smoked Pork Belly – Scotbeef
- Best Lamb Product – Iceland Luxury Easy Carve Welsh Lamb Leg Joint – Dunbia
- Best Red Meat Product – Regeneratively Farmed Longhorn Dry Aged Sirloin Steak – Buitelaar Group
- Manufacturer of the Year – ABP Food Group
- The Meat Management Excellence Award – Dean Holroyd, group technical and sustainability director at ABP Group
A full run-down of the winners and finalists, plus the highly commended products, will be detailed in the October edition of Meat Management.
Graham Yandell, managing editor & publisher of Meat Management magazine, commented: “It is a real privilege to stage these awards every year and to host the ceremony. We live in challenging times and therefore reminding ourselves of the great products and service provided by the industry is always welcome, particularly now.
“Looking forward, the positive message now is roll on 2023 when I have no doubt the industry’s biggest awards event will be even bigger and better than ever.”
The official 2022 Awards partners:
The awards ceremony is subject to any ongoing government rulings on public assembly and therefore the organisers reserve the right to make appropriate changes if required affecting the date or venue, or the type of presentations made, at their absolute discretion.