Lindsay Murphy, regional training manager at Booker, has been crowned the ‘Meat Businesswoman of the Year’ at this year’s Women in Meat Industry Awards ceremony, held at the Hilton London Metropole yesterday evening, Thursday 18th November.
The initiative recognises the important role and contribution of women in the meat industry and received over 7,000 votes for the 45 finalists this year. Ten winners were crowned during the ceremony which was co-presented by Olympic medallist and TV broadcaster Katharine Merry.
The Awards are driven by reader nominations and votes via Meat Management magazine, with an expert judging panel gathering to select the overall Meat Businesswoman of the Year, who is selected from one of the other category winners. This year, the title was presented to Lindsay Murphy, regional training manager at Booker.
A special surprise and unscheduled award was also made to past editor of Meat Management magazine, Pamela Brook. The Lifetime Achievement Award was presented to mark nearly 35 years of Pam’s association with the meat industry and in particular her editorial direction of the market leading monthly magazine for the trade.
The 2021 winners are:
- The Rising Star Award – Rebecca Robinson, proprietor of Becky’s Butchers
- Meat Businesswoman Award: Trade Body – Eleanor O’Brien, membership manager at National Craft Butchers
- Meat Businesswoman Award: Foodservice – Debbie Middleton, HR manager at Aubrey Allen
- Meat Businesswoman Award: Wholesaling – Lindsay Murphy, regional training manager at Booker
- Meat Businesswoman Award: Training & Education – Jemma Wiles, senior H&S officer at ABP Group – Birmingham
- Meat Businesswoman Award: Industry Supplier – Joanne Hughes, sales executive at Foyle Food Group
- Meat Businesswoman Award: Manufacturing/Processing – Katarzyna (Kasia) Szynal, technical manager at Pilgrim’s UK
- Meat Businesswoman Award: Craft Butchery – Bridget Borlase, owner / director of Bridget B’s Butchery
- Meat Businesswoman Award: Retailing – Kathryn Meadows, joint owner of Nicholson’s Butchers
- Meat Businesswoman of the Year Award – Lindsay Murphy, regional training manager at Booker.
Congratulations to all involved
Meat Management editor, Jane Bush said: “Attending my first Women in Meat Industry Awards has been an absolute pleasure, as well an eye-opening experience. The sheer variety of roles and the breadth of influence wielded by women across the meat industry is remarkable. I was very impressed by the calibre of all the nominees and I congratulate them all on their achievements. What the sector needs is talent, passion and creative thinking – qualities that our winners and finalists have in abundance. So, on the strength of these awards alone, the future for the industry looks extremely bright indeed.”